What Should You Do if You Are in a Car Accident?
If you are involved in an auto crash, these are the things you must do immediately:
- Make a report of the crash with police, either at the scene or at the police station as soon as possible after the crash.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver(s), but say nothing about how you feel or about who you believe was at fault
- Take photos of the place the incident occurred, the vehicles .involved, and any visible damage to the vehicles or to your body (bruises, cuts).
- Get medical treatment as soon as possible. If an ambulance arrives at the scene and you decline to be transported to a hospital, you are hurting your own case. If you do not get medical treatment immediately, you are harming your chances of recovery.
- Report the incident to YOUR insurance carrier.
- Do NOT provide a statement to anyone, especially the other driver's (drivers') insurance carrier, if they contact you.
- Contact a lawyer immediately.